Dental Health Expert Forum
Stinging gums and tooth pain

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Stinging gums and tooth pain

I have root canals and crowns on my two front teeth.  The RC on one was done about 15 years ago and have had no problems with it.  The other RC was done a couple of years ago because of sensitivity and some indication of minor root decay due to old trauma (probably when I broke the other front tooth.)  I still have a pressure feeling in the newer RC tooth.  I also have intermittent recession of the gums on both teeth.  In recent weeks I have had stinging in gums around both front teeth, particularly where the crown meets the roof of my mouth in the back.  I have some noticeable recession of the gums and redness.  The pressure in my front tooth is getting worse and I feel a "nervy" feeling when I tap it.  I also get headaches  every day - maybe from the pressure or maybe just from  the stress of it all.  My dentist says I shouldn't have feeling in the tooth and I agree but it is what it is - I am not imagining it.  He also says the gums margins are "within normal limits" but they feel irritated all the time.  I am thinking of seeing a specialist but not sure where to start or what the treatment might be.  I have also noticed that I seem to salivate more and have a lot of sinus drainage although I have never had allergies.  Any thoughts or experience would be welcome. This is my first post on any helpline.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I would get a consult with a periodontist to check out what the dentist thinks is within normal limits.
of couse it is not possible to diagnose the problem without seeing you. Is the dentist you most recently saw the same one who placed the last crown?? even if not, I suggest you get another opinion from someone you are referred to by a trusted family member or friend. It sounds like a gum problem. Get a complete set of films, and a fresh, new opinion. pain does not happen for no reason.
Thank you for answering so quickly.  I have already decided to ask a trusted dentist friend in another city for a referral to an endodontist.  I have also been researching a lot on the internet and wondered if this sounds like a fractured root.  If so, could it be infected even with the root canals?  Will I likely loose the tooth?  I don't want to get too far ahead of myself but also want to get prepared if this might be the case.  Thank you for being there.
has a similar problem with yours - had a root canal done on tooth #26 in december 2005 and the final step (permanent filling) done in January 2006 and up to this day, i still have a pressure sensitivity on that tooth - its not a pain, it just feels sensitive to touch or pressure.  as a matter of fact, i do not chew on the side of my mouth at all.  i have told my dentist about it already and he said keep an eye on it.
Sorry to hear that.  Mine is a constant pressure feeling i the tooth and gums and by the end of the day I usually have a bad headache.  I've decided to start with an endodontist to check the root canal.  My dentist doesn't see anything but can't hurt to be sure from a specialist.  If that's not it, I'll go to a periodontist to see if there is something going on with the gums.  The gums have always been healthy but maybe there is a bacterial or fungal thing going one.  If no luck there, I'll try my regular doctor for other things - sinus infection, hormone problems, etc. I am really at the end of my rope with this and I'm sure my family is tired of hearing about it.
Had the same situation happen, but on a molar.  Even though you had a root canal, there are "feelers" at the tip of the roots that can abscess, which is what happened to me, and I had to have an apiectomy (an endodontist goes thru the gum line and cuts off the tip of the tooth, where the abscessed root feeler is).  Another thing that I noticed with mine, was than when I would drink something warm, the pressure got very intense.  This problems should be able to be confirmed with x-rays.
I'm kinda having the same problem.  I've been to my dentist and he doesn't see anything wrong, but I have a constant pressure in my mollar.  The problem I'm having is that I can't pin-point which mollar is giving me the problem.  I've had a root canel done in my 2nd last molar 3 years ago, so I don't think its that tooth, but I'm not sure.  All I know is that I have a constant pressure in the middle of the tooth.  I'm thinking it has to be my back mollar.  Either tooth is not sensative to hot or cold, and can be tapped without any pain.  My dentist don't want to open the tooth up without cause by the pressure is driving me crazy.  I did have braces on for 4 years, so I'm thinking that could have done some trauma to the tooth.  Also the back mollar does not have a filling in it.I'm thinking I will need a root canel done on my back mollar, but I want to make sure that will fix my problem.

If anyone could give me some insite/ideas it would be greatly appreciated.  
The pressure feeling in the tooth has lessened but now the irritated feeling around my top front teeth has expanded to the top 6 teeth and I have noticeable (to me) recession of the gums.  Went back to my dentist to specifically asked about a crack in the root or anything suspicious.  I saw an assistant instead of the dentist but she used to work in the office of a very highly-regarded local endodontist.  She showed me a small dark area on the side of the root filling in the problem tooth that could possibly be an infection so I got a referral to the endodontist who I will see next week.  I have no idea if the symptoms are related but there is also a periodontist in the same dental group as the endodontist so I am hoping they can consult and get me an answer.  I hate being such a guinea pig for strange dental issues but I will keep everyone posted in case I learn anything helpful to someone else.
GLOSSODYNIA  look it up