Dental Health Expert Forum
Suffering a numb tongue after dental work

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Last two weeks I went to a dentist to have my wisdom teeth taken out. After the surgery, I had numb tongue and I thought I would go away very soon. However, I have been suffering from numb tongue for the past two weeks. Half of my tongue on the left hand side is numb and i can feel not much taste.
1. When will this problem go away?
2. What causes the symptom?
3. Anything I can do to make it back to normal as soon as possible?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The parasthesia "numb tongue" you are experiencing is not uncommon after extraction of wisdom teeth.  Usually due to the injection of anesthetic or the trauma of the extraction, the numbness is most often transient and feeling will return over time.  Sometimes it could take as long as six months but usually sooner.  There is nothing you can do to regain feeling sooner.  You should however let the treating doctor know of your symptoms.  Also be careful when eating so you don't bite your tongue and not feel it.
I, too, had my wisdom removed and am now suffering from tongue numbness.  My doctor says that it will probably take a couple of weeks for the feeling to return.  It has only been one week and I am already higly frustrated.  After reading the comments and doing research, I believe that my doctor is lying to me to make himself feel better for what has happended.  As a teacher, the need for clear and quick articulation is essential.  Should I face the fact that I probably will not gain feeling back in my tongue? Should I seek other routes of therapy such as speech therapy?  I am very upset and would love some good advice.
My wisdom tooth was removed 5 days ago, and after surgery the healing process is going well except i'm suffering with a numb tongue.I want to feel back to normal again and this is a trauma,doctors have said this is common and not to worry.I would love some advice from people who have been through this.
Is there any hope of the numbness disappearing.
A related discussion, tongue numbness after wisdom tooth extraction was started.
A related discussion, numb tongue was started.