Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling/Pain from Impacted Wisdom
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swelling/Pain from Impacted Wisdom

My wisdom teeth have been impacted for about a year or so now (I know, I've been neglecting getting them removed), and when they first became impacted, my bottom right gum line above it kind of split open a bit and swelled slightly I assume from the tooth breaking through. All four have partially broken through the gum. That went away within about a week. Now, about 4 days ago, the same thing has happened on my left bottom side, except this time it is majorly swollen and painful, and the swelling has spread to my jawbone and my neck just under the affected area. My neck is very sensitive to the touch, as is the jaw, and sometimes it become discomforting to even swallow, almost as if I had a sore throat only in that general area, but clearly don't. Is this normal or signs of an infection? The swelling and pain is much worse then when this happened on the other side several months ago.