Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling/Pain from Impacted Wisdom

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swelling/Pain from Impacted Wisdom

My wisdom teeth have been impacted for about a year or so now (I know, I've been neglecting getting them removed), and when they first became impacted, my bottom right gum line above it kind of split open a bit and swelled slightly I assume from the tooth breaking through. All four have partially broken through the gum. That went away within about a week. Now, about 4 days ago, the same thing has happened on my left bottom side, except this time it is majorly swollen and painful, and the swelling has spread to my jawbone and my neck just under the affected area. My neck is very sensitive to the touch, as is the jaw, and sometimes it become discomforting to even swallow, almost as if I had a sore throat only in that general area, but clearly don't. Is this normal or signs of an infection? The swelling and pain is much worse then when this happened on the other side several months ago.
It sounds like you have pericornitis, which is an inflammation of the gums around the impacted tooth.  The impacted tooth makes cleaning difficult so food tends to get stuck in there and cause an infection.  I would go to ER immediately since its spreading down into the neck region and impacting your ability to swallow.  It can continue to spread and impact your ability to breathe also which is life threatening.  You should be placed on antibiotics and get that tooth out as soon as possible.