Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling Under My Tongue

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swelling Under My Tongue

Im not sure whats going on under my tongue. I have been sick for the past week with a sore throat (which is now gone), a fever, coughing, congested, ear infectionsm losing my voice, etc.... I also often get kanker sores.. So.. recently i got 2 kanker sores in my mouth and soon afterwards i got a sore under my tongue. I thought it was a kanker sore but now im not so sure. Under my tongue i have 2 vien looking things that are... buldged out.. (they dont look like viens.. they looks like buldged lines in my tongue but its all i can think of that they are..) one goes to the right and one to the left.. well...there is a red bump/swelling on the left one.. it sort of swells up n ends in a kind of point.. and its REALLY sore. It hurts when i talk, eat, cough, chew, anything where my tongue moves... REALLY bad.. any idea what it may be??? Do u think its a kanker sore? or something else? Please let me know!

~Heather
Avatar dr m tn
Heather, It  certainly could be a canker sore. Another possibility is that there  are
  two salivary ducts in that location which may be inflammed for one reason or another. In either case if the sore does not go away in 7 to 10 days see your dentist or an oral surgeon.
Avatar n tn
Thank you VERY much.. i was worried that it may be serious.. it seems to be getting redder and redder.. and i have tried taking advil and stuff for the pain and it didnt do anything. Any suggestions for pain? its like a pinching/stinging pain and it shoots down my tongue n throat.. and jaw... it hurts pretty bad
Avatar n tn
and is there anything i can do to stop getting so many kanker sores? i get them all the time.. always have... i doubt it.. but im just curious..
Avatar n tn
I have recently noticed that the area under my tongue is swollen. whenever I lift my tongue, I experience pain that goes through thr extending part under the tongue. Then about two days ago, I discovered little small bumbs on top of the swollen part. Now it hurts even worst. Can you help me at all? what is this called and how can I treat it.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, SWELLING UNDER TOUNGE was started.
Avatar n tn
A related discussion, saliva gland was started.
A related discussion, pain in tongue, bottom leftside. was started.