Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling after antibiotics

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swelling after antibiotics
I went to the ER yesterday because I noticed that the right side of my face was slightly puffy and I had a minor toothache. I figured it was just a wisdom tooth growing in and pressing on a nerve, but my boyfriend said that it could be an infection and urged me to go to the ER. The doctor in the ER said that I have an abcess beneath the wisdom tooth and prescribed me 500mg of Penicillin VK 4 times a day for two weeks along with Percocet. I have been on the antibiotics for over 30 hours and I know it can take up to 48 hours for them to start working, but the swelling has become much worse (to the point where I can barely open my mouth) and the pain is unbearable. Is this normal for it to get worse as the antibiotics kick in, or should I go back to the ER? Thank you in advance for any answers that you can provide me with.
The ER may be able to help with the swelling by draining the abscess.  You need to see an oral surgeon and probably get that wisdom tooth out.