Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling after antibiotics
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Swelling after antibiotics

I went to the ER yesterday because I noticed that the right side of my face was slightly puffy and I had a minor toothache. I figured it was just a wisdom tooth growing in and pressing on a nerve, but my boyfriend said that it could be an infection and urged me to go to the ER. The doctor in the ER said that I have an abcess (abscess) beneath the wisdom tooth and prescribed me 500mg of Penicillin VK 4 times a day for two weeks along with Percocet. I have been on the antibiotics for over 30 hours and I know it can take up to 48 hours for them to start working, but the swelling has become much worse (to the point where I can barely open my mouth) and the pain is unbearable. Is this normal for it to get worse as the antibiotics kick in, or should I go back to the ER? Thank you in advance for any answers that you can provide me with.