Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling and hard lump in lower jaw after difficult extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Five days a go I had a tooth extracted, the tooth broke up and couldn't be pulled normally. So the dentist took 45 mins of drilling, cutting and elevation to finally get it out, which wasn't a nice experience. He stitched the area and I was given two sorts of antibiotics, in high doses, to combat any infection. After 5 days I still have a very swollen cheek and gum. Also my jaw hurts at the hinge when I try to open my mouth the most I can open is 1/2 inch. Most worrying is the hard swollen area at the left hand point of my jaw just below where the tooth was extracted. Is this normal or do I have a problem. I've had to take a few days off school as I look like I've been in a street fight and cannot talk properly because my jaw hurts at the hinge if I try to talk too much. How long will this last?
It sounds like the symptoms are related to the trauma of the surgery.This was posted on the 19th, it has been three days, if the swelling has not abated I would have the dentist examine the area.
did your dr put you on antibiotics/pain meds? i would go back for a follow up its possible you have an infection