Swelling from dental work
Four days ago i had an emergency root canal. This tooth already had a root canal from several years ago. There was an infection at the base of the tooth. Since the procedure i have experienced a large amount of swelling. The swelling is very hard and painful. The Endodontists office says it will go away in a couple days, however it has been four days and two different antibiotics have been tried. Is this swelling "normal" and how long should it take to go down?
mine was swollen over a week.the antibiotics should strart taking the pain away with in 3 to 6 days .if pain is still real bad after a week .go back to dentist. i was told you can have some swelling for a couple of days to a week but mine lasted almost two weeks and i didnt think that was normal.i had to have mine pulled after a couple months.  sue
this is happening to me now! my entire face is numb and i have a huge hole in the side of my gums where they kept putting the needle in. I found that eating fresh pineapple helped with the pain. I have decided that im going to get it pulled on tuesday because the swelling is intense and its affecting everything i do.
I just had mine this morning and I am in so much pain. I took 800 mg of motrin 4 hrs ago and just took 2 tylenols now. My face is also very swollen and hot right by the infected tooths region. The Dr had told me it might swell bc it was infected and they aggrevated the infection but I was not ready for the pain I have been in. Hoping I dont wake up tomorrow looking like the elephant woman!
omg - you poor lot. I understand what you are all going through. I had rct thursday night, my face swelled up staright away. the next day it was kind of numb and still swollen from under my eye all down my face. although inside my mouth does not hurt, the gum and all along the side where she injected is so tender and today its still bad. i went to my gp and got some amoxcilian and and so far it has not healped, i go through bouts of pain and my temple is throbing. i cant seek and further help until tomorrow monring hopefully at an emergency dentist. My face is hot and now my lower jaw is starting to hurt. i wondered if i was maybe allergic to the medication that put on the root canal before you go back for the permanent filling. I keep crying cos i feel like my head is gonna explode with all the pressure. the dentist never warned me this would happen.