Dental Health Expert Forum
Swelling gums after wisdom tooth removal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Hello.

About two weeks ago, I had a wisdom tooth removed...a new tooth seems to be trying to grow in, but is growing in awkwardly. Today during work (I work as a brick, block and stone mason's assistant), a mostly painless swelling occured in my gum, in front of the area where the tooth is, sandwiched between my jaw and face...approximately where the dentist had poked me for numbing. I was concerned, but the swelling receded after a few hours...only to return again during the day, before receding yet again, and now at home the swelling is mostly gone. The area around the swelling is very red. It does not bleed or otherwise produce fluid. Should I be alarmed?
Probably a good idea to go back to the dentist and see why there's swelling.  There shouldn't be any swelling two weeks after an extraction if the area's healed up properly.  Fortunately there's no pain associated.  But the fact that there is swelling and that the area is very red indicates there's something causing inflammation in the area and it should probably be addressed rather than waiting to see if it worsens.