Dental Health Expert Forum
Swolen and painful glands

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swolen and painful glands

I had a tooth extraction on Monday lower back. The dentist battled a bit to remove it. He actually gripped my jaw with his hand in order to loosen the tooth. I had extreme pain since the extraction and was put on antibiotics and pain medication. Yesterday I went back to the dentist as the pain got worse and I told him that it feels almost as if the tooth is still in, because of the pain. However my right side of my face started swelling and my gland on the right side is as big as a golf ball. The excruciating pain I am experiencing is not from the extraction but from the swollen gland. I am taking Cataflam and stopayne for the pain but nothing seems to work. This morning it looked like the swelling has gone down but as the day progress the gland is increasing is size. My entire left side of my face is aching and I even find it difficult to swallow. I am desperate for any solution.
You may want to switch antibiotics.  Did the swelling begin the day after or did it take a few days for it to swell?  Usually the swelling immediately after an extraction is due to trauma but it can take several days for an infection to start and spread.  So if its spreading and swelling later on, then the antibiotics aren't doing their job.  If its swelling sooner, then its due to the trauma and you may have to wait it out.  Try icing it, compressions onto the swelling, pain medications such an anti-inflammatory, etc.  You may want to ask your dentist again for advice.