Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen Cheek and Gum

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swollen Cheek and Gum

I am worried about my right swollen cheek and gum. I have been going to this endodontics for 1-2 months to do a re-treatment of one of the broken-down tooth I did root canal 17 years ago.

On thur. night, this specific tooth hurts and i took advil to go to sleep. On Fri afternoon, my right cheek has become swollen and you can obviously see the right side of my face is swollen than the left normal face. I went to see my endodontics as emergency. However, he didn't even have time to check but just look at into my gum/cheek to ask me to take antibiotics/painkillers.

After 24 hrs ( today is Sat.), I am very worried since my right cheek is still swollen and I do not even dare to go out or even have the mood to do anything else. Unfortunately, my endodontics only work from Mon. to Fri. How should I do?

Any suggestion? Should I go to emergency room?

Cheryl
I would continue to take the antibiotics and monitor the situation.  If it worsens though, I would consider going to the ER.