Dental Health Community
Swollen Tongue after oral surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Swollen Tongue after oral surgery

My tongue is swollen and numb, although it is the swollen part which bothers me most. It has been almost a week since I had all four wisdom teeth out, and at 21, with all four impacted, the surgery was a little late in the game.

My tongue, only on my left side, presses against my teeth morning, noon, and night. My cheeks are also somewhat swollen. If I want to press my teeth together, I have to do so very carefully, otherwise my tongue or cheek get caught. The rubbing of my tongue against my teeth is making my tongue very sore, and causing my tongue to change shape at the edges to match my teeth. I have no idea how to attempt to get the swelling down as most of it is in the back of my mouth. I can barely open my mouth widely enough to allow a small spoon inside (regular dinner spoons are out of the question, as my mouth is just small in general and those normally don't fit easily anyway)-- so putting ice on it doesn't work very well, and there is only so much icecream I am willing to eat.

Has anyone had this problem? How did you deal with it? What causes it?

Limited opening of mouth probably results from muscle spasm of masster muscle, which is quite common after lower wisdom teeth surgery. the condition tends to resolve after 3 day, if appropriate atibiotics is administered. Swollen tongue may be associated with surgical trauma , if there is no objetive swelling and you do feel swelling, that may be associated with lingual nerve injury.Going back to your oral surgeon to have a follow-up exam is advised.