Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen bump on upper gums?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swollen bump on upper gums?
For a few weeks now, my 13 year old daughter has had this somewhat small, swollen lump on her upper gums above two of her back molars. It is slightly soft and it has not been causing her any pain. The swelling of the lump went down for a few days but is now swollen again after she irritated it by brushing her teeth. Today I went to check on it and noticed that the lump had developed two small, raised white bumps. It appears to almost look like an adult tooth protruding through her gums, although it is still somewhat soft. Any ideas on what this could be?
Normally at age 13, she should have all her adult teeth by now so its most likely not another tooth coming out unless she's delayed in her eruption of her adult teeth.

It may be an abscess of some sort.  I would recommend taking her to the dentist to get it evaluated.  Taking an x-ray would give a better of idea of what it may be.