Dental Health Community
Swollen cheek 2 weeks after 1 wisdom tooth extraction?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had my lower right wisdom tooth taken out on approximately 2 weeks ago. The flap is healed, the stitches have fallen out or dissolved, and there is no pain in the area. However, my cheek (on my jawline) is still swollen and puffy (not hard, just puffy), as are the gums around the extraction site and the tooth adjacent to the extraction site. When I brush around the wound, the wound itself does not bleed, but the gums beside it do bleed (minimally) and I'm scared. I had my tooth pulled at a dental school and because the tooth was "hooked", it took 2 students and 1 OS resident over 2 hours to get the tooth out. Needless to say, it was a rough surgery. I went back to the dental school for a follow up 5 days after the tooth had come out, and they said it was healing well, they irrigated because it smelled bad, but said there was no need for antibiotics and sent me on my way. They told me that day the swelling should go down within a day or two.
Now, it's been 12 days and I'm still having these lingering symptoms. Also, totally unrelated as it was a lower wisdom tooth that was removed, but I did get a sinus infection a few days ago which has seemingly made the wound taste bad and feel sore when I cough or sneeze - is that normal? I have already talked to the student who did the surgery and she said because it was such a rough procedure my symptoms could last longer, but I'm skeptical. Could the site be infected? There is no pain except a general uncomfortable feeling from the swelling.

Thank you for your help! :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
A rough dental extraction can cause a lot of inflammation which will subside with time. Anti-inflammatory drugs will help relieve the swelling and pain. However it is necessary to rule out infection, as the presence of infection will delay the healing process.
Hope this helps.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Hope this helps.
Thank you for your response. I scheduled a follow up appt with my dentist and an oral surgeon this last Monday to check for infection, and they did find an abscess and infection over the site which they said was caused by improper suturing of the wound initially. The dentist poked the abscess and pus and blood came out- yuck! They put me on antibiotics for a week (however, I've been on them for 4 days now and am still swollen! however, i'm not bleeding anymore) and said if that didn't help, they'd have to reopen the wound and clean it out as there is probably some food or something in there causing it to swell. I go back Monday and am terrified this is going to be infected forever, and am scared as I can't find anything about this online. :(
If you are not already using a prescrition rinse, you should ask about it. Typically, you would use it for about 10 days after the extraction. You should also ask your dentist to provide you with a syringe with a special tip (no needles) and instruct you how to flush the area after eating. Mere swishing and rinsing will not remove all of the food particles which do cause problems. Beyond that, read your bible and pray! Dental work of this nature can be quite painful and sometimes linger to the point that you think it will never end. If you have read the posts of my current plight, you will know that I understand. Chin up, this too shall pass! I hope this helps a little. Get well soon!