Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen face with trouble opening mouth, drainage of puss

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

10 days ago I had a root canal on one of my back teath on the lower left side of my mouth. 3 days after my face started to swell, the swelling started under my eye and quickly spread to my neck, I was in a great deal of pain. I went to the dentist and was given 250mg of Feneticilline (1 every 6 hours) the swelling went down as did the pain. Today is the last day of the antibiotics my face is still swollen, its painfull to open my mouth, my gums are weeping blood and puss and i'm still in a lot of pain. What sould I do?
You need to see your dentist asap.
No doubt you should see an oral surgeon or root canal specialist. When swelling gets into the neck it can be dangerous.
Your condition, which I suspect you've had treated by now, is exactly what I suffered over the past week and which led to me becoming very ill and requiring surgery. I now have a huge hole in my mouth where a large drain was inserted to get rid of the infection -- all the way from my jaw to my cheek.  The infection from your tooth has spread to various tissues throughout your mouth and face, and if left untreated, will spread to your brain or your neck.  In either case, you will become very, very sick,  Never ignore dental pain.  It can kill you.