Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen glands, cheek after molar extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Two days ago I had a molar extracted on the lower left side. There is now a swollen knot on my cheek that extends down my neck to the left side of my throat. I have had severe discomfort but found more relief through Advil rather than the Percocet. The tooth was difficult for the oral surgeon to extract and I need a few stitches afterwards. When I look inside my mouth, I can see a yellow flecks around the area. It's hard to tell if it's food or a "scab". I don't want to remotely poke around to find out. The pain is a throbbing in my neck and cheek with sharp, acute pain at the extraction site. I am having a hard time sleeping more than 3 hours at a time. Could it be infected or a dry socket? Or possibly just trauma to the jaw due to the difficulty in extraction? Thank you!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It does sound like a dry socket but I would suggest you see the oral surgeon asap.
it could be anything..... i would not worry but i would make it known to the oral surgeon who did the extraction--- ideally he should see you so the area can be  evaluated to determine if there is an infection. pain meds take away pain and that's all they do.
Thank you, Mike! I actually went in today to have him check it. Sure enough, I had a dry socket. Sunday is when I really, really started having pain. He used some clove oil packing today that brought some much needed relief. That clove oil is now my new best friend. It brings better relief than advil or percocet. I haven't taken a Percocet today but used Advil and seem to be doing 100% better. Thank you for your response! Much appreciated!
no problem.... the packing needs to be changed every day or two for a while.... sometimes if the packing does not ge the job done, the surgeon will need to go back in and cause bleeding on purpose to promote new clot formation.
Sorry to bother again but I have another question. I tried to repost it but the max has been reached for daily postings. How long does a dry socket take to heal? After such relief, it began to hurt again this evening. There is a sharp pain in my ear and that "Dry socket pain" at the site. I went in for the packing on Monday. I called on Tuesday to ask for a dress changing and was told if it didn't hurt, not to worry. The packing would dissolve on it's own. I didn't press it because when I got the packing, it was excruciating. They cleaned it out with a syringe and packed it with no pain numbing shots. I was crying from that procedure that I wasn't too anxious to go back again if it wasn't hurting. Until now. I can see the socket is getting smaller with a remnant of dressing left in it. I can control the pain with 600 mgs. of Advil. I prefer not to take the Percocet since I used it for 4 days straight.
How long do they take to heal?
Do I need more packing? ( I hate to do this route since it hurt so bad the first time. Not so much the packing but the syringe irrigation.)
This dry socket was caused from smoking which I have not continued since Monday. I have stopped completely. Tooth was pulled 7/7 with dry socket starting on 7/9. Thanks again for your time. It is much appreciated.
A related discussion, complication after molar extraction was started.