Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen jaw...help!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swollen jaw...help!

I have a decayed molar #3 that has spread to my jaw and it is now swollen. On Wednesday, I was put on Amoxicillin and the swelling has gone down a little but now, Saturday, the swelling is still there and it seems to be spreading more across the entire side of my face as compared to it just being a puffy swollen jaw. I am very worried because the dentist will not pull the tooth until Wednesday (the last day of antibiotics). Is this normal or is there anything I can do to bring the swelling down?
If the swelling is increasing, it can be dangerous.  You may want to go to the ER and get a different prescription if you can't contact your dentist.  Otherwise, you may want to see your dentist to get the tooth out earlier or you can get it drained out.