Dental Health Community
Swollen lip after front root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Swollen lip after front root canal

I got my first root canal yesterday on the very front left tooth ( i think it's tooth 7? ) and it went perfectly fine, my dentist said it went perfectly fine, and to take some iBuprofen when i got home and the vicoden i was perscribed when i went to bed. I got home at 3:30pm, took 2 tylenols, and around 6:15pm the left side of my face started throbbing (much like it did when i found out i had to get the root canal). I had an infection also above my tooth which I was given amoxicillan for and I took it, but the bump didn't go down all the way so she gave me more amoxicillain to continue to take until next friday when she puts in my permanent filling rather then the temporary I have. At 6:15pm I took a vicodin which didn't help at all, then between 8pm and midnight I'd taken 4 tylenols at different points - which didn't help at all either. So without wanting to take more meds, I just lay in bed til 5am without being able to sleep and decided to take a second vicodin which seemed to help and I zonked out.

This morning at 7:15am I woke up with a very, very swollen lip. It's only swollen on the side my root canal was done on but the bump seems to have either gotten larger or gone down because I can't feel it as a bump anymore. It also feels to be kind of numb.

I asked my grandmother who's had a root canal and told me to put ice on my lip, which I am, and that it should be a normal thing because it's not normal to get a root canal and it probably just made my mouth mad at me. I want to know if this is normal or what should I do. Thanks!
Occasionally, post canal instrumentation or canal obturation swelling may happen. Seeing your endodontist is advised.