Dental Health Expert Forum
Swollen neck gland due to Listerine!

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Swollen neck gland due to Listerine!

I started using Listerine Whitening Pre-Brush rinse about three days ago. The first time I used it, I felt this slight stinging in my cheek on the right side. I didn't think it was anything to worry about. I used it on a second day and didn't have any symptoms other than peeling gums. The third day, in the morning I used it and was OK. I used it at night and this is when my symptoms suddenly appeared. About two hours after I used the mouthwash, my mouth had this bitter taste. I went to get a glass of water and a small piece of chocolate candy bar (like the size of my thumbnail) just to suck on so the bad taste would go away. As soon as I swallowed the piece of chocolate, the gland on the right side of my neck swelled up a little, very suddenly. You know how when you eat something zesty (like B-BQ sause) you feel that sensation at the sides of your neck? That's how it was with that little piece of chocolate, only much more intense as if I overwhelmed a lymph node or something. I know I'm not allergic to Hershey's b/c I've had it before. So I don't know what else could have sparked this other than the chemicals in the Listerine. I woke up this morning and my neck is still a little swollen, just like last night. AND the weirdest part of all this is that when I eat anything, even the blandest bowl of Cheerios, I get that intensely zesty-swelling sensation in that gland. What can I do to make this swelling and this irritating sensation go away?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is possible that the duct to one of your salivary glands is blocked. I would consult an oral surgeon asap.
I doubt this is related to the listerine in any way
OMG, this same exact thing happened to me in the past two days.  Yesterday, I used the Pre-brush Listerine for probably about the third or fourth time and what I thought was a film in my mouth that kept peeling.  Yesterday, after I used this I had some coffee and then the film started again and all of a sudden my right cheek was throbbing I kind of just ignored it thinking I'm nuts.  Then, I sat down to eat and all of sudden my right side of my neck (just under my ear at the edge of the jawbone swelled about the size of a lime).  I was literally freaking out because I had no clue what this could be from but I took some motrin and the swelling seemed to subside a bit and in a matter of a few hours it was gone.  Today, same scenario not realizing that it could be the Listerine I finally started eating and again it happened.  I went online and searched Listerine and neck gland swelling and came to this forum.  Everything you described is exactly what has been going on with me.  I don't know if this has something to do with a blockage in the salivary gland but I normally use Crest Whitening rinse and this has never happened with that.  I am going to lay off any of it and try to figure out if that is it.
A related discussion, Listerine and gland swelling was started.