Dental Health Expert Forum
TMJ or infection?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

TMJ or infection?

Some years ago I had impacted wisdom teeth extractred from my left side. Over a year ago I had a root canal done on the upper left last molar. Immediately after I got electric sensations in the tooth that went away. A couple months ago i was having pain in that tooth while chewing. An xray said possible root tip infection. THey cut me open and found alot of infection, cleaned me out and sewed me up. Everything was healing fine and i was ok for over a month and now when i yawn I'm getting weird mildly leectric feelings shooting along the roots of my molars on both the top and bottom  on my left side. Talking too loud, or playing harmonica will set it off too sometimes. It gets worse at night. In the morning I have had some mild generalized soreness in the area. My Oral surgeon said problably TMJ. I'm not so sure. Any help would be appreciated. Now the feelings shooting along the gumline are decreasing and the area of surgery gets sore later in the day.I still have infesction in there don't I?TMJ or infection?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Your problem is too difficult to give you any type of diagnosis from this forum. TMJ dysfunction is too broad a term which indicates difficulty in the joint but gives you no etiology for the problem. TMJ can be structural, muscular or a combination of both. If someone tells you you have TMJ I am not sure what they mean. If I had to guess and it is only a guess I think it is that tooth that had the surgery. I think you should persue that avenue first.
I found this informative, in regards to TMD: http://www.gjmurphydds.com/tmd.html#HOW

"The term TMD is used to describe a family of disorders which involve the jaw complex. This includes the jaws, muscles, jaw joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves. Problems frequently develop within this complex and may effect any or all of these components"
There is smething called tic de la rue. Not sure of the spelling but it sounds exactly like somethng a friend ofmine has I know she recently purshased a book on it
very good site (borninquisitive). A good book and inexpensive is Taking control of TMJ by Robert O. Uppgard.   Good luck!
Look up info on Trigeminal Neuralgia...That is the "Tic" I think they were referring to..There is a web site TNA devoted to explaining this facial pain that often starts from tooth or eye problems and causes the trigeminal nerve to act up...It is a very painful condition that can "come and go" , stay, etc...Best of Luck..