Dental Health Expert Forum
Teeth Grinding

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Teeth Grinding

I am a long term teeth grinder and don't know what to do to about it.  I wear a splint, supplied by my dentist.  Unfortunately I take this out every night while I'm asleep and every morning I still waken up with pains in my jaws. I have tried EFT (Emotional Freedom Therapy) and acupuncture but they haven't worked.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Do you take the nightguard out because it's uncomfortable or do you do it in your sleep unknowingly?  Perhaps a new nightguard that is more comfortable.   Also, have you had your occlusion (bite) checked by a dentist.  Sometimes an occlusal equilibration helps if necessary.   Why people grind is a tricky subject that is very difficult to tackle over the internet.     You might want to seek a dentist who has a thorough understanding of occlusion and how it relates to the TMJ.
oh my i cant believe you take it out at night. ok that is when the most damaging grinding is done. that is when the splint is usually worn, did your dentist tell you only in the daytime? was this splint made from impressions by a lab and customized to your bite? there are dentists that say they know but you need a dr that specializes in grinding and tmj problems. there is more than just throwing a splint in the mouth. the amount of pressure in night time grinding is what wears our joints and cracks our teeth. i cant tell you what to do but you need to discuss this with a dentist and if he suggests only wearing it during the day GET A SECOND OPINION!! if you get the splint issue worked out and you have pain in the muscles in the face and jaw sometimes physical therapy will help. good luck and let me know what happens.
Thanks for your comments. To answer your questions: this splint has been fitted by an extremely well qualified dentist who is herself a grinder; I take it out at night because a. I hate wearing it and b. I'm not actually aware of doing so. My dentist has told me that I must wear it at night but she can't actually come and sit by my bed so I have to find my own way of dealing with this!  I know that I should have gotten used to it by now - I've been using this for over a year but I just can't seem to do it!  I think that my main problem is just trying to keep it in at night but I waken up in the morning and my splint could be anywhere in my bedroom - during the night I throw it as far away as I can!  I wonder if hypnosis would help?  I have already spent quite a lot of money on having my teeth re-built because of the damage done to them over the years by my grinding.
Thanks so much for your interest and your comments!
I too grind my teeth while I'm sleeping.  I also wear a splint to bed at night, however I do not find myself taking it out.  I don't know anything about your life, but I will offer my opinion.  I am not a professional what so ever, this is just my experiences and food for thought.    

Why do you grind your teeth, what is the root cause?  What is going on in your life to cause you to do this?  How long has it been going on and what happened when it started?  

I found out that my grinding was stress related due to career, personal and family problems, my jaw/joint pains would be worse when I was having more problems/issues going on in my life.  I have been seeing a counselor for a year or so trying to help resolve some of my stressors.  I have noticed a large improvement in the jaw/joint pain in the last year after which I made several changes in my life to eliminate the negative influences and stressful situations.  I had to remove myself from situations which made me upset, uncomfortable, and/or adversly effected my life, (which was very difficult to do with loved ones, but necessary for me to have a better life!)  I believe that stress plays a huge role in the grinding!  

Also, I tried over the counter tylenol PM or the like, to help me get a better quality of sleep, I think this helped me to put my stressors aside and just sleep instead of all the thoughts going through my head all night stressing me = grinding.  Plus if you sleep better, you may not take it out when you are sleeping.  Of course, I am not a doctor, so you may want to get a doctors opinion before you take any medication.  Good Luck!
Rx
Gin and tonic

mitte: double measure

Sig: Nocte

Enjoy !!!