Dental Health Expert Forum
Teeth are throbbing after fillings

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Teeth are throbbing after fillings

I went to my dentist because of an impacted tooth and after i had that pulled out my dentist said i needed some of my fillings redone and i had a couple of cavities.I had fillings done over a 4 week period but now my teeth are absolutley throbbing and are extremely sensitive to hot and cold. I pretty much can't eat anything hard. The things is, none of my teeth were hurting before my dentist did the fillings. I was wondering what the problem might possibly be. Thanks!
The sensitivity can be attributed to a few things.  You should go back to your dentist to let him/her know that you have problems.

Sometimes there is some sensitivity with replacing fillings because of the trauma from drilling.  The pulp of the tooth may become irritated and become sensitive.  Usually this resolves on its own.

Another common problem is your filling may be too "high" and result in extra biting forces on your tooth, causing trauma and sensitivity.  These high spots can be adjusted.

Another possibiity is that the cavity was very deep and has infected the nerve and it resulting in pain from the infection.

As you can see, there are quite a few possibilities.  Best to see your dentist and have it checked out.