Dental Health Expert Forum
Teeth chipping

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Teeth chipping

My teeth have begun to chip; in the last 4 weeks, I have had 3 teeth chip and one molar broke.  What is going on?  I am 52; is it age or am I deficient in some vitamin/mineral?  Thank you
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't think that the chipping is related to any deficiency. It is possible that these teeth have been filled previously and that either the tooth structure has weakened over time or the filing has broken down. You need to see your dentist for the appropriate restorations.
Decay ??

Or problems with your occlusion - perhaps the tips have worn off your canines so that now when you slide from side to side the canines no longer open the bite and protect the other teeth. ie Perhaps you have gone from a canine guided occlusion to group function.