Dental Health Expert Forum
Teeth grinding

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Teeth grinding

I am 23 years old and currently a medical student. I guess unknowingly having been under so much stress lately, I have begun grinding my teeth and can see the decay/flattening visibly. I woke up today and caught myself with my teeth clenched.. How can I stop doing this or any tricks I can do until I can get back to the dentist's office? I don't have headaches or anything, but want to prevent that because I can definitely SEE the flattening.. and the stress keeps building up.. Is there anything i can take that would relax me or my tension or even prevent the teeth from touching.. temporarily?

Thank you
Although its not the best fit or the most comfortable, you may want to try buying an over the counter nightguard or mouthguard and use that temporarily until you can see a dentist.  Unfortunately a big part of it may be stress management but I can imagine that medical is rather unforgiving about that part.  Best of luck though.  Hope it helps.