Dental Health Community
Temp Crown Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Temp Crown Pain

Late last month, I had temporary crowns put on and my dentist had me return 3 weeks later to get a final impression done for my permanent crowns. When I returned, I was almost turned away from the office, with the assistant telling me that my appointment was supposed to have been scheduled 30 days later and it was too soon. When I asked to speak with the dentist, the dentist stated that we would take the final impression. The temps were removed (2 adjacent molars) and then replaced when the impression was made. Since I got the temps replaced, I've had a dull throbbing pain in my molars, so after a week, I returned to the dentist. X-rays were taken, temps were removed and checked for sensitivity. My teeth were very temp sensitive and the dentist stated there was something slightly suspicious on the x-rays, but did not elaborate. The temps were replaced after a little bit of reshaping yesterday and feel more comfortable (just as they did the 1st time they were put on). She stated that if the pain continued for a week, that she would send me to a specialist for RCT. I have been taking 400mg ibuprofen about 2 times a day and this seems to do the trick, although I often wake up at night after the meds have worn off. Is there anything that I can do to avoid RCT? Are there any recommendations that would make the pain go away or the nerve that might be causing all of this to calm down so that I don't need RCT?