Temp cement or root canal
It is tooth #3 on this chart http://www.bcbst.com/members/dental/toothchart.pdf
It's an upper tooth on the right side of my mouth, second from the back, and my wisdom teeth are removed.

I had a large metal/mercury filling on the tooth and it was feeling totally fine. During a cleaning the dentist suggested that I have it changed to a crown because it could be "leaking." I said okay, so he prepped the tooth for a crown, put a temp on, and told me to chew on the other side.  I did and went in for the permanent crown. I could not chew on that side without sharp pain. I went back for countless adjustments, still couldn't chew without pain. Had no pain unless I tried to chew on that side. He decided the crown must be wrong and cut it off. He then prepped the tooth for a new crown and placed temporary, and now I have pain all the time. It isn't pain in that tooth though, but in my lower jaw it seems. If I take 2 advil in the morning around 6:00 and 2 advil around 4 or 5:00 I feel no pain, but I sure can tell if I've waiting to long to take it again. This has been for a solid 1.5 weeks now with no difference in the pain. Also, still can't chew anything without a sharp pain. I'm questioning if I should maybe just have the new crown put on with temp cement and see how that goes, or if that would be making the situation worse?

The other issue is that I am at a new job and my dental insurance doesn't begin for another couple months. I can't really afford to do a root canal now, however I've already paid for the crown.