Dental Health Community
Temporary Aluminium crown - nerve pangs/sensitivity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Hello there,

I had a tooth prepared for a crown yesterday, and while I'm waiting to get the crown, my dentist has put a temporary aluminium crown on the tooth. I'm going back in two weeks time to get the permanent crown fitted.

When I got home and I got the feeling back in my mouth, I noticed that at the moment I can't do a 'proper' bite, its like the aluminium cap is slightly higher. I can live with this as its only going to last for a couple of weeks, and its making me eat food a lot more slowly, which is a good thing!

However, every so often, I get a sudden 'zing' or twinge in my tooth. Its very quick, but it seems to happen for no reason, and is quite a shock, and uncomfortable. Is this simply because I've had a lot of work done on the tooth to get it shaped for the crown? Or is it related to the aluminium covering the tooth? I do have an old metal filling in on of the teeth near the one that has the temporary crown and was wondering if that has something to do with it.

Apart from the temporary crown being a bit high for me to be able to do a natural bite, everything feels fine, its nice and snug, and if I wasn't experiencing this sharp twinges every so often, I wouldn't be fussed at all. Theres not constant aching or anything, its simply short, sharp shock feelings.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks :)
Going back to your dentist to have a follow up exam is advised.