Dental Health Expert Forum
Temporary Onlay fell out

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Temporary Onlay fell out
I have two questions:

How should I care for this tooth until my dentist can put a new temp onlay on.  It seems to be sensitive now causing some discomfort.

What should I expect when I go back to the dentist for a new one.  Will I need novacaine?

(the tooth is third on the top from the back not counting wisdon teeth)
If you can get some wax you can try to place it in the tooth.The dentist will either make a new temporary inlay or just put in a temporary filling. In all likelyhood you will not need any local anesthesia.
just keep it clean and please oh please dont use anything to fix it yourself! lol ive seen messes from self fixers. if its just a little sensitive i always remade my temps without anesth. but if you are in pain im sure they can numb you up.