Dental Health Community
Temporary crown hard to remove not painful

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

I had a root canel then a permanent crown a year ago - no problems - then the crown cracked in half and had to be replaced after only a year.  A new temporary crown was put on and left on for 3 weeks while the permanent crown was being made.  When the DDS went to remove the temporary crown it was REALLY stuck on - apparently remarks were made that the dental assistant used too much glue and now it was a real chore to get the temp off.  As the tooth had a root canal - the DDS said I should not feel any pain - but I felt a great deal of pain when she tried to get the temp off.  She pulled and pulled and left the room and returned with a different tool - finally getting it off.  Well the tooth now hurt very badly but she said it was just the swollen gum tissue.  The smell in my mouth when the temp was finally off was AWFUL.  The DDS then put the permanent crown on and my tooth has hurt for over a week.  When I press on the tooth it hurts. I cant eat on that side of my mouth and also got an ear ache which my primary doc tells me that the swelling caused fluid to build up in my ear and because it could not drain I am on antibotics for the ear ache.  The tooth still hurts and my DDS only works 2 days a week and says wait 5 more days and come in and I'll look at it then.  This DDS is one of THE MOST EXPENSIVE in my area and I chose her because she is known as the BEST - well this has not been my experience at all.  Why would a tooth with a successful root canal now hurt terribly after the temp was pulled off and the permanent one put on.  My bite is fine - the crown does not sit high = any help would be appreciated.
If the offending tooth was completely asymptomatic before the traumatic event. the possible cause of your pain complaint probably results from injury of supporting tissue, which is periodontium. Tissue healing takes probably weeks. In the mean time, avoidance of chewing on the injured side is advised. If the tooth is mobile now, there is no need to worry. Ireversible injury is unlikely.