Dental Health Community
Thinning enamel and brushing?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Thinning enamel and brushing?

Hello.

I have a mild problem with thinning tooth enamel because I used to brush my teeth in a very rough manner, several times a day. I didn't stop until my teeth hurt and bled (I have ocd, and this was one of my compulsions).

I have since stopped doing this, but have noticed that the tops of some of my teeth have taken on a slightly glossy appearance. I have also started using a toothpaste with a higher fluoride content.  Is there anything I can do to prevent this getting any worse?

Also, how many times should I brush per day? I still do it more than twice, usually after meals and sugary snacks or fruit/fruit juices. My technique has changed a lot, and I've become a lot milder with my brushing, and have also found that using an electric toothbrush helps.

As the thinning enamel is not yet that bad, could the high fluoride toothpaste strengthen and/or improve the appearance of my teeth?

Is there anything a dentist could do to stop this progressing any further? I'm only 22 and I have this fear that in ten years, this will be much worse, despite the effort I'm going to, to prevent it.

This is a new development, prior to this I had never had any problems caring for my teeth and had never had any cavities or needed any fillings. I wouldn't want that to change now.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

You're off to a good start.  Use Aquafresh Advanced Toothpaste for help with hardening the enamel and strengthening your teeth, along with their mouth rinse in the evening.  It has more fluoride in it than Crest.  You should not brush your teeth more than 3 x a day.  Use a very soft toothbrush.  If you're going to use an electric one, the Sonic is the best, just always remember with any power toothbrush, to let it do the work.  You can floss throughout the day after eating anything and rinse your mouth with warm water.  Chewing sugarless gum will help when you can't brush to activate the saliva to clean the teeth.  I would see your dentist for other ideas, and for a good fluoride treatment in his office.
there are several new toothpastes designed to help prevent enamel l loss. never brush right after eating or drinking acidic products. wait at least 30 minutes. enamel softens when in contact with acids and if you brush too soon after consumption you can damage you teeth.