Throbbing Pain With Temporary Crowns
I had two temporary crowns put on 10 days ago on my back two upper left teeth. The pain that I am experiencing from them is hard to describe. My lower jaw, ear, lower left cheek, and teeth all hurt. My dentist filed down the temps so that my bite was better, but the pain is not getting any better. I have to take 800 mg of Ibuprofen every 4-6 hours. If I wait until I feel pain again to take the ibuprofen it takes almost 2 hours for the pain to go away. The pain wakes me up at night and I am geting worried. Are these signs of a need for a root canal or signs of an infection? Or something else? What should I do?
Dear jilluvsnate:
      Your throbbing pain and aching of the bone probably result from occlusion. It's very easy to identify the pain source. Remove the temporary crowns. Usually your pain will diasappear shortly after removal of temporary crown. If these teeth are vital, you may experience sensitivity to cold stimulus. However, it's generally tolorable. Then, go back to your dentist to adjust the bite until you feel perfectly comfortable with the temporary crowns. If temporary crown is not successful, the final crown is not likely to work well.
Good luck
Regards
Thanks. Unfortunately the pain just won't go away, however decongestants have helped ease it a bit. My left ear had pain and was feeling plugged, but now it is getting a little better. Is it possible that the pain could be from sinus problems? My mom thinks that is the case, but I didn't think that was possible.

I have also been grinding my teeth at night again according to my husband. I'm sure that is contributing to the pain. What do you think?
Dear jilluvsnate:
       Certainly a sinus problem can cause upper molar symptoms. Seeing an ENT doctor to rule out structural pathology is advised. If your symptoms started after placement of  temporary crowns, it's more likely a dental origin. Place a cotton roll or something similar between your front teeth for some time, see if your symptoms relieved.Keep back teeth out of contact.
Regards
OMG, it's 2011 and I am experiencing the same thing you experienced - my jaw kinda hurts when I yawn, my left ear is affected,.."The pain that I am experiencing from them is hard to describe. My lower jaw, ear, lower left cheek hurt when I open my jaw.."

I don't know what else to do except  see a real doctor. I am afraid that the dentist won't tell me the truth, if somehow, the tissues in the gum or the jawbone got damaged after getting 3 injections on the site. This is the second temporary crown that he put. I am afraid to go back to this dentist but already paid $525 co payment, as the crown cost about $1000.

I am very concerned about infection or further damage to my left jaw --- anyone has any idea of what to do with this? I wonder if you have recovered completely from the crown?
OMG it's 2012 and it's STILL happening. I just got a temporary crown on last week and now my whole lower left side is throbbing. Hopefully it will go away because I don't know how long I can take it.
OH MY GOD. It's 2013 and it is STILL HAPPENING. I don't know what to do. I can't believe it has been going on this long and there is not a cure. I'm afraid.
OMG it's 2014 and it is STILL happening. Dentist have started killing off anyone who complains of throbbing pain associated with temporary crowns as we are afraid those people will turn into zombies...
OMG , it's 2015 and it is STILL HAPPENING. Dentists have eschewed world currencies and now only accept bloodied teeth and tortured moans for trade. War has broken out and NSAIDs are the only defense we have. Will it be enough to last until a permanent crown can be seated and stability returns to the realm? I can only pray.
OMG, it's 2016 and IT IS STILL HAPPENING. Prayers have failed, and the dentist zombies have taken control. The temporary crown ache has spread, and its relentless throb takes control of our teeth, bodies, families, nations. The fascist/socialist/exodontist world government controls the throbbing, and thus our polity. Donald Trump's election looms. Abandon all hope, or take some Advil and make a appointment.
I was searching the Google for temporary crown pain and came across this post all I can say is thank you!! I commend you and your dedication to raise awareness regarding the ever growing zombie dentists!