Dental Health Expert Forum
Thyroid Nodule Caused by Tooth Infection from NJ?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Need assistance:

In 2002 I had full upper/lower Orthognathic Surgery (jaw) last year I began having problems with my thyroid gland and swollen glands. I've had a 2 biopsy's performed, blood work, etc; and now taking thyroid medication. Surgery likely to remove thyroid gland.

I have had sever TMJ on right side (condyle deterioration), and also on the same side has a root canal performed 3 years earlier. Which all reside on the same side as the thyroid nodule.

Recently I began to wonder whether or not there might be some correlation here.

I am a 36 yr old male in fairly good health.

Is there anyway to determine if in fact I have some type of infection that might be triggering some symptoms?

Can anyone recommend a skilled TMJ dentist in NJ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
John
I would call your local dental society for a referral to a TMJ specialist.I do not think that the rct you had done is related to your thyroid or TMJ problems.
Hi John,

I was very interested in the thyroid problems your were talking about.  It sounds like I am going through something very similar.  I have a lump on my thyroid, bloodwork can't find anything wrong and swollen gland under tooth that had the root canal.  I have also just come out of a very strange bout of illness, which the doctors can't understand.  I am 37, healthy and medically speaking very young for "real" thyroid problems.

I would be interested to see where you get with it.  Having your thyroid removed sounds very drastic.  I have been working with a naturopath and acupuncturist. Their tests have determined liver, thyroid and spleen weaknesses.  It is just a matter of putting all the pieces together.  The tooth connection has crossed my mind as well and that will be my next route of investigation.

Good luck to you and I hope you can get it worked out without having to remove your thyroid!

Teckla
A related discussion, Thyroid Nodule caused by Tooth Infection in NJ was started.