Dental Health Community
Tips & Tricks for post-wisdom teeth extraction
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tips & Tricks for post-wisdom teeth extraction

So on Wednesday I was operated, had my wisdom teeth removed as well as a huge cyst that was lodged in my sinus.  The day after the operation I was all right (considering all the painkillers I was taking), but starting Friday at about 2:30 in the morning the pain got worse.  I was at the check-up Friday afternoon and she said everything looked great, and that it was normal for the pain to continue for up to a week.

Two problems: first, according to instructions I shouldn't keep taking ibuprofen for more than 4 days at a time - that means today is the last day I can take the stuff.  The pain is no better than it was yesterday, and without the painkillers I have zero chance of getting to sleep.  Nor do I find that I can make the day bearable, because again, you aren't supposed to take more than 1200 mg of ibuprofen a day, which is 6 of the little pills (consider I have to save 2-3 of them for sleeping at nighttime).  I am supposed to hold cold stuff against my face, but I don't have a working fridge or freezer so nothing I have is cold enough.  What can I do to reduce the pain?  Or do I just have to tough it out?

Second, the wounds have started bleeding.  This has happened to me before after tooth extractions, but it's annoying, disgusting, and all-around bothersome.  Is there a way to deal with this, or will I just have to wait it out?

Any advice is appreciated!