Dental Health Community
Tips & Tricks for post-wisdom teeth extraction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

So on Wednesday I was operated, had my wisdom teeth removed as well as a huge cyst that was lodged in my sinus.  The day after the operation I was all right (considering all the painkillers I was taking), but starting Friday at about 2:30 in the morning the pain got worse.  I was at the check-up Friday afternoon and she said everything looked great, and that it was normal for the pain to continue for up to a week.

Two problems: first, according to instructions I shouldn't keep taking ibuprofen for more than 4 days at a time - that means today is the last day I can take the stuff.  The pain is no better than it was yesterday, and without the painkillers I have zero chance of getting to sleep.  Nor do I find that I can make the day bearable, because again, you aren't supposed to take more than 1200 mg of ibuprofen a day, which is 6 of the little pills (consider I have to save 2-3 of them for sleeping at nighttime).  I am supposed to hold cold stuff against my face, but I don't have a working fridge or freezer so nothing I have is cold enough.  What can I do to reduce the pain?  Or do I just have to tough it out?

Second, the wounds have started bleeding.  This has happened to me before after tooth extractions, but it's annoying, disgusting, and all-around bothersome.  Is there a way to deal with this, or will I just have to wait it out?

Any advice is appreciated!
For the bleeding, moisten a tea bag and bite down on it to give some pressure, this will help a lot for normal oozing.  If you are bleeding a lot, you should check back with your oral surgeon.

Read your instructions again, cold is usually only for the first 24 hours, afterwards you should use heat.  A hot pack or washcloth with warm water will work.

If you are in enough pain that it is keeping you awake at night, go back to your oral surgeon for something stronger.
Oh, heat after the first 24 hours?  That's good, I have a hot pack.  I also have tee bags.  Thanks for the advice!  I'll give it a shot.