Dental Health Expert Forum
Toddler banged tooth and turned gray

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Toddler banged tooth and turned gray

My 3 year old banged her tooth a few weeks ago and just a few days ago her front tooth started turning grey. When I called her dentist I normally take her for check ups, the secretary cut me short saying that unless my daughter complains or I notice a white pimple on the gum, there's nothing they would do. She also said that since at her last recent appointment my daughter wasn't cooperating (yes she is 3 and she cried!) they would have not been able to take an x-ray! Seriously? It is a pediatric dentistry!!! They don't know how to deal with kids? It's not like my daughter is that bad! Anyway my question is, is her (can't believe she would not even let me talk to the dentist!) opinion correct? Is it important to have the x-ray done regardless of her having symptons (she doe not complain for no)? Does she need a root canal? I know I can get a second opinion but there are no other pediatric dentists in the area and so I wanna make sure it's necessary. Thank you!
The tooth is turning color most likely due to the nerve dying inside the tooth.  Normally we don't do any treatment for a tooth of that particular situation as doing a "root canal" on it doesn't show any benefit.  The receptionist is right in that we would normally just keep an eye on it until it becomes symptomatic.  I would imagine they would want to see her though and at least do a clinical examination.  You may want to get a second opinion or go in to get it checked out just in case but I'm pretty sure there isn't any necessary treatment at this point.  
did you take her to a pedodonist? and general denstist isnt the best options for babies.... and be prepared for when you do take her they WILL strap her down and it wont be the prettiest site but it needs to be done to childern

most the time they will take a message for the dentist they wont pull him/her out of the room to speak to you, if that was the case then he would be stopping all the time due to patients calling.

no she doesnt need a root canal cause that tooth is going to fall out but they nerve has died thats why it has the grey appearence
ok thanks for your replies, i did take her to a new dentist and the x-ray shows (weird that this other office had a staff able to get my TERRIBLE daughter to take an x-ray!!)that the tooth is still alive and the nerve still there. He said the tooth is just bruised and the bleeding should reabsorb and it should lighten up although it will always bit a bit darker/yellowish. And there is a chance it could die or get infected but he said it could very well stay healthy and strong...just keep an eye on it. I was just shocked that the receptionist gave me a diagnosis over the phone..I just wanted my girl to be seen. She had a bad attitude and I felt like she did not  cared at all (i did not expect the dentist to jump out and speak with me, I just asked to make an appointment, didnt even have to be the same day...) but hey there are many other good dentists out there1
Good to hear.  Sad to say but its possible the dentist may be a great dentist but has a terrible receptionist which reflects on him.  But glad that things are looking good.