Dental Health Community
Tongue and Gums numb after Wisdom Teeth Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

For all of you out there searching the web for answers..... I had my wisdom teeth removed 3 years ago. About 3 days after the surgery I knew something wasn't right. My entire mouth was dead numb. I couldn't talk right or chew food without my tongue getting in the way. After about 3 weeks the feeling came back on one side but since the surgery the entire left side of my mouth (tongue, gums and lower left side of my mouth) have remained numb where I can stick a pin in it and wouldn't feel it at all. This has caused me to eat only on the right side of my mouth. Chewing is difficult because I cannot feel my tongue, I sometimes bite it without knowing. I cannot feel when I floss on that side and have to be careful that I am not cutting into my gums. I rarely chew gum or eat tic-tacs or other small candies because they have actually gotten "lost" on the left side where I have to go to a mirror to find them. It has effected the intimacy with my husband; kissing (and other things) is very uncomfortable. I have seen several dentist and neurosurgeons specializing in this and none have said this would improve. I was given hope within the first 6 months but I have been told that after this long I will never have feeling in my tongue or gums again. Maybe at 28 years old I was too old to get my wisdom teeth pulled???? Maybe the nerve was too close to the extracted tooth and the dentist should have known???? I wanted to post this because three years ago I searched the internet trying to find people with the same problem. I do not want to discourage you from seeking help from this impairment but I do want those who are researching wisdom teeth extraction to know that this does happen to people, more than you would think - I am not one in a million.
Hi Kim,
Thank you for your post about what happened to you with your tongue numbness from your wisdom teeth extraction. I had my lower left wisdom tooth removed on October 29th 2008 - and here it is, almost 2 months later - and the left bottom side of my gums and tongue are still numb. I totally understand what you mean about the loss of intimacy thing. French kissing is out - as well as other things - for us too and this is very sad indeed. I am hopeing to find someone on-line who has had this problem and then the feeling did come back. I have a constant 'tingling' sensation that is sometimes quite painful. Have you found out any other information yet? Have you noticed any postings anywhere at all that says they had this numbness/tingling and then the feeling did come back?  Also, our taste buds aren't there anymore either on the left side - which means that eating is uncomfortable and doesn't even taste good. I was able to easily lose 15 pounds, which was great - but I'm hopeing to find some kind of hope that I'll get back to normal again.  You are so right when you said that you are not one in a million - my oral surgeon said that only 1 in 10 million people ever have this problem. Go figure...what's our luck that it would be us?  Get back to me if you've found out any more information and thanks again for your post. ~ Michelle
I just went to the dentist on Monday. Today is Friday my tongue is still numb after having my bottom left wisdom tooth extracted. It was a traumatic experience altogether. Apparently there was still infection in the tooth because after 10 shots of numbing stuff I could still feel her pulling and cutting on the bone. That was the most horrible pain I have ever been in. I burst in tears and broke out in a rash all over my body then I almost passed out. Now 4 days later I cant feel my left side of my tongue. Has this ever happened to anybody and the feeling comes back?
Hi Jess,

I had 2 of my wisdom teeth removed in August. After the lower one was removed my tongue was numb for a few days and the dental surgeon said it was normal because the point of extraction is very close to some nerve that connects to the tongue and that tissue was temporarily traumatized. If it's still numb after a week you should go ask your dentist about it.