Dental Health Expert Forum
Tongue and jaw numbness after lower wisdom extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

I had my lower wisdom teeth removed and am now suffering from partial jaw and tongue numbness. Since the side that is suffering the numbness is the side that had the most work done, I was okay at first with not feeling any of the pain. In addition, my doctor says that it will probably take a couple of weeks for the feeling to return and not to worry. It has only been one week and I am already highly frustrated. After reading the comments and doing research, I believe that my doctor may be lying to me to make me and himself feel better for what has happened. As a teacher, the need for clear and quick articulation is essential. Should I face the fact that I probably will not gain feeling back in my tongue?  Do most people regain the feeling? Should I seek other routes of therapy such as speech therapy? Neurologist? I am very upset and would love some good advice.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am not an oral surgeon but from my experince with my patients that have had some parathesia, the feeling does return, but it can take quit a bit of time. More than likely this has occurred from the trauma of the surgery and proximity of the tooth to the nerves that innervate both the lip and the tongue. They are to separate nerves. Have patience.(excuse the pun)
From what I have read and understand if your dentist hit a nerve it could take weeks for it to heal. It could be just taking its time to heal. Good Luck to you!!!
My tongue became partially numb after dental work on one occasion. To the best of my memory, it was still pretty noticeable for a couple of weeks, and I still felt it occasionally a month later. By around two months after the event, the numbness was all gone. So, as others have said, just be patient. There is no way anyone can tell you exactly how long it is going to take, because it is different for everyone.

Hope you feel better soon.
I went to the dentist 8 days ago. They removed an old filling and put a new one in. It was the worst experience I have ever had at the dentist. I could tell they hit a nerve. My right side of my tongue has been numb eversince. Its annoying, hard to talk, eat etc. It almost feels like a burning sensation on my total right side. I am actually going to see a lawyer next week. Even if this only does last 6 mo, that is 6 mo of a dead tongue that I am not willing to deal with. I am so pissed. off Anyone else going through this? Thanks, Krissy.
A related discussion, Left side tongue numbness was started.