Dental Health Expert Forum
Tongue coating

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tongue coating

Hello, I have recently become aware of a thick white coating on my tongue that turns yellow after eating or drinking caffine.  I am not sure if I suffer from Halitosis but I sometimes have a metalic taste in the mouth.  For a few years I have had an impacted wisdom tooth with decay. I have procrastinated about getting it removed. Could the tooth cause the problem.
I have tried Hydrogen peroxide as a mouthwash but can't stand the taste.  Can you suggest anything.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The wisdom tooth most likely is not the cause although you should have that extracted.   If you're a smoker, that could lend to the coating and you should consider quitting.  Also, it will help to brush your tongue everyday.  There are also tongue scrapers on the market.  Listerine is  another product to try.  Good Luck.
The white tongue could be caused simply from bacteria building up over time.  I would try using a tongue scraper as well as mouthwash such as fluorigard or listerine, although the fluorigard in my opinion seemed to work better for me.  I went through a period where my tongue was a bit white and caused me to have a period of bad breath. It was a buildup of bacteria. I brushed my tongue, used a tongue scraper, and rinsed with flourigard mouthwash 3 times a day and my tongue is now healthier than ever.   I also keep a small bottle of fluorigard in my truck for after I eat a meal or when i feel its neccessary to rinse my mouth out.  My girlfriend has also said that my breath does not have a bad odor when i wake up in the morning which is another plus.  

As for your dental health, it is highly important to visit the dentist at least once every six months, especially if you are having dental issues.  A healthy mouth is important to have.  You feel better when you have a healthy mouth with a nice smile to go with it.
maybe u should try some other products or should i say mouthwash...there denture cleanser that can be used as an effective mouth cleanser...