Dental Health Expert Forum
Tongue too long?

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tongue too long?

Is it possible to have a tongue that is too long? I have an anterior open bite. I often feel that my tongue would stick out pass the incisors if I relax.

I am saving up and planning to get braces to correct the open bite, but would I need to be checked out by specialist about the tongue first?
You can consult with the orthodontist about your tongue.  Sometimes the tongue will fill in the space if there's room and once the space is closed.  I would guess that it may shrink down a bit if there's no more room as the bite is being corrected.  Wearing a retainer to prevent a relapse is very important.