Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth Erupting from side of Gum
About This Forum:

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Tooth Erupting from side of Gum

My daughter is 10 years old and goes to the dentist at least once a year for her checkup/cleaning.  Just recently she brought it to my attention that she has three teeth growing through the sides of her upper gums.  Two of these teeth appear to be molars and the one in particular is growing very high on the side of the gumline.  The other appears to be the third (maybe fourth) tooth from the left front.  The teeth below them are baby teeth and in no way are loose.  She states that they do not cause her any discomfort or pain.  I have made an appointment with an orthodontist since it is already a given that she will eventually need braces to correct other crooked teeth.   Is this "normal" in the sense that I don't need to be alarmed? What causes this to happen? What is typically done to correct this?  I just don't have any idea what to expect when I get to the orthodontist's office.  Thank you.