Dental Health Community
Tooth Extraction Dry Socket Complications & Bone Poking Out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Although I am asking for advice, my story may help answer others questions with similar experiences.

This is a complicated situation, unfortunately.

I have done lots of research on the internet, and read lots of advice & other stories, etc. I am giving very detailed descriptions, with my timeline. Please read my entire story & give me any direct advice, help & similar stories & experiences w/ timelines...

So, 14 days ago I went into a local dentist to have a tooth extracted. It is my upper left 1st Molar. It was a very unexpected "complicated" extraction for the dentist, and took over 2 hours with a lot of pain & seemingly ineffective shots of numb medicine. When he was finally finished the tooth had came out in about 15 - 20 small pieces, and alot of damage was done to my tissue during the procedure. I do feel the dentist is very qualified & did his best, it just was a very stubborn tooth that was connected to my jawbone pretty tight. The final piece was quite the snap! He did a final check for any loose fragments, and put the guaze in my mouth & sent me home to heal w/ pain killers. I swelled up the next 3 days like a chipmunk! On the 5th day I was still in quite a bit of pain, and swelling was still present, so I went in for a check up with him. At this point he said it looked very good, much better than he expected, and decided to remove the stitches. His attitude with my overall healing process was great, and made me feel much better. Over the next 7 days (days 5 - 12)I felt better each day, swelling was almost gone, still sore but nothing a motrin wouldn't take care of. So then yesterday (day 13) I woke up and could feel a little bit of bone poking out the side of the extraction site. I called the dentist & he said it could just be a bit of tooth fragment or even bone that has dislodged, and it is common. He said I should come in and he will take a look & maybe pull it out. So I went in, and when he started looking in my mouth, he said "oh no!" ... uh oh! He said that I obviously have developed severe dry socket, and he needed to clean out the site before he could even start to investigate the bone or tooth fragment that I could feel. That was sooo painful, quick though. He basically rinsed out my socket with a cleansing fluid using a syringe, spraying it inside and flushing out the socket. He said at this point he could just see a lot of exposed bone, and was surprised I hadn't been in more pain the last few days. He then started poking around and did find a fairly large piece of tooth (or bone, not sure) loose inside the extraction site. It was kind of inside the side wall, but he managed to wiggle it loose and got it out. This immediately caused some moderate bleeding, so he flushed it out again (ouch!) and put some gauze in. This was done without any numb shots or anything. He explained my dry socket situation to me, and basically said that it will heal on its own, to make sure I swish with warm salt water & keep my mouth clean, and the only thing he can do to help is for the pain. Since I am not in unbearable pain, he just recommends that I stick to Motrin or Tylenol, which is working fine for my pain.

So I drove home & immediately went to the bathroom to change the gauze in my mouth, as it was pretty bloody. When I was swapping it out for a clean one, I felt the area with my tongue & the piece I went in for I could still feel! Felt it right in the same spot! So I called him, and he had me come right back. This time he immediately gave me several shots of numb medicine (provocaine) because i was in some discomfort and he needed to really investigate. So I got numb & he checked it all out & said what I am feeling with my tounge is actually part of my bone, and it is not loose at all. I can verify this, he was poking and pulling at it and it was not going anywhere, so I doubt it is tooth. He said it is because of the Dry Socket, and that this is the bone exposed because my gums have kinda folded back, with delay of healing as well. I expressed my concern with having this bone exposed, and he said it will heal over it in the next few weeks, as the entire socket heals. So that was last night. Today I am in some moderate discomfort, but generally feel o.k, well besides the big hole in my mouth & the annoying bone poking out that my tongue will not leave alone. After reading other stories I guess sometimes a dentist will go in and clip or grind down this exposed piece of bone, to get it under the gumline & begin healing under it. My Dentist assured me that the gums will heal over it eventually, but I still have concern.

This is really my question. Can someone re-assure me that my gum will eventually grow back over this pointy bone poking out, or maybe recommend that it does need to get clipped or grinded down in order to heal fully. Again, this is part of my jaw, and not a tooth fragment left behind. The dentist wants me to come back for a check up in 2 weeks, so if its not covered by then I will surely bring it to his attention.

What a bummer of a situation, if I was on track, I would be eating regularly again... oh well, atleast I love mash potatoes!

Any help, reassurance, & similar stories is much appreciated, my mind is spinning....

Many Blessings to All you who took the time to read my situation, Thank You.

Jay
?
?
Alveolar bone exposure to oral environment is generally not a problem. It takes 4-6 weeks to heal up. The exposed bone will be resorbed within 6 months after dental extraction.However, it may cause delayed wound healing occasionally,in that cae, removal of exposed bone is beneficial.

Hi - I have had a similar experience. My dentist is near (now I'm convinced he's past it) retirement age and I have been going to him for nearly 10 years. He is very experienced obviously, but my story is virtually identical to yours. I went back twice, and he 'trimmed' the exposed bone that was sticking out and stopping the socket from staying closed after the stitches came out. It still didn't heal, and I happened to meet his nurse in the shopping mall one day and she advised me to go to another dentist in future because he was making a lot of mistakes, and that she was sure that the 'bone' in my case was the tooth root left in. On her advice I went and got an Xray which showed the whole root still in my jaw! I would never have believed that a man with his experience could let this happen, so my strong advice to you is to go back and INSIST ON AN X RAY to make sure that this hasn't happened to you. You could go to another dentist if you feel you don't want to go to the one who did the work. I had to have the root extracted and it was not a nice experience. He'd made a complete mess of trying to extract it in the first place and I had bits of tooth all over the place, blood and stiches and a bruise over 2 inches in diameter on my jaw.
I'm now going to another dentist who extracted another tooth a week ago and it was completely painless and out in less than 30 seconds. Unbelievable!
Please drop me a note if you go further and let me know what happens. Regards.
I had all my top test pulled about 5 weeks ago, had like 6 bone fragments sticking out of my gums. They are painful. I went in and in grounded them down some, they seemed to heal and I could wear my teeth basicly for the first time. A week later I now hAve about 10  fragments sticking out o my gums now on both sides. They definately hurt and I cannot wear my teeth they hurt wat to bad to do so!! Not sure what to do, he makes me feel like a idiot when I try to talk to him about it.
Hi, I really feel for you, du to me having sjorgrens syndrome I have had to have all my teeth removed. I am not lucky when it comes to dentist, I always end with an infection after extraction.
Only once did I have dry socket and it is the worst pain ever and no painkillers help and if I had a gun at the time I would have used it.
Anyway just had final three teeth removed from bottom jaw and bone has poked out of two with an infection to boost, I went to dentist n he clipped them, that was two days ago, still in abut of pain but hopefully that's it.
Go back to your dentist and get him to clip it.
Hope your better soon.
Claire
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. SAME TOOTH AS A MATTER A FACT. AFTER THE GENERAL DENTIST TUGGED AND PULLED OVER 2 HOURS AND THE NUMBING MEDICINE HAD QUIT WORKING NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE GAVE ME. SO SHE REFFERED ME TO AN ORAL SUGEON THAT GOT IT OUT IN A MATTER OF MINUTES. I WENT BACK IN FOR A CHECK UP AND WAS STILL IN A LOT OF PAIN. HE TREATED ME FOR DRY SOCKET AND PACKED WHERE THE TOOTH HAD BEEN. I THEN TOLD HIM I HAD SOMETHING SHARP STICKING OUT OF THE SIDE OF MY GUM. HE SAID IT WAS 'JUST' BONE AND CLIPPED IT. I WENT BACK SEVERAL MORE TIMES AND HE KEPT SAYING MY GUM WILL HEAL OVER IT. HE WAS STARTING TO THINK I WAS CRAZY BECAUSE I WAS STILL IN SO MUCH PAIN. WELL A MONTH OR SO LATER STUCK MY FINGER IN MY MOUTH TO FEEL THE SHARP SPOT AND FINALLY GOT IT OUT. IT WAS BONE OR TOOTH LEFT IN IM NOT SURE. WELL ITS 2 WEEKS LATER AND STARTED FEELING SOMETHING SHARP BEHIND MY OTHER MOLAR AND WHERE THE OTHER TOOTH HAD BEEN. STARTING PICKING AND PULLING AND A 'U' SHAPED PIECE OF WHAT LOOKS LIKE CARTLEDGE. NOW I FEEL LIKE I JUST HAD ANOTHER TOOTH PULLED. ANYBODY HAVE A CLUE??? STARTING TO THINK MY ORAL SURGEON IS A QUACK AND DONT WANT TO GO BACK TO HIM. ANY ADVICE???
I got my number 10 pulled lower left side a piece of tooth was left in on the bone because my roots are so difficult to get the dentist sawed it down and said it will be ok hasnt been 24 hours yet so I cant rinse with salt water praying I will be ok cause this was the worst ever