Dental Health Community
Tooth abcess(abscess)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Tooth abcess(abscess)

Last thursday my front tooth started to hurt but they have always been sensitive so i thought very little of it. By sunday i was in severe pain! Yesterday was tuesday and my whole jaw was hurting top and bottom to the point i couldnt even eat =(( Welp, I just woke up at 4;30 AM and my top lip is very swollen. My teeth arent hurting anymore but i looked online about abcesses and im sure thats what i have but mine seems a little different from what im reading and im looking for some advice ..
The way they explained it in most cases tha lip or cheek was swollen but they could feel a not or bump in their mouth. I do not. My gums dont even look or feel swollen its just my Lip(it is numb). How can the dentist drain it if there is no pimple or anything inside my mouth?? .. Im so scared this is the first time there has been any swelling. what should i do ?? I do have a dentist appointment today at 2 but the swellin scared the hell out of me
It's okay, the swelling is from infection and they treat this with antibiotics...they don't drain it.  Normally once an abcess (abscess) occurs the pain subsides just as it has with you. You should call your dentist as soon as the office opens and let them know about the swelling, they may want to see you earlier today to get you started on antibiotics quicker.  It's okay and the antibiotics will take care of the swelling and then your dentist will determine what needs to be done with the problem teeth. Try not to worry.