Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth extraction/cap PAIN

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tooth extraction/cap PAIN

Hello. Please help. I had a dental procedure done on Dec. 1 2011. Tooth 30 (lower) got a temp crown put on. After 2 hours of fixing that my dentist told me the next tooth (tooth 31) needed to be extracted. Since I was already numb for the crown I said ok. I was prescribed 10 Lortax pain med. After a week I still felt like I had severe pain. Called dentist and he called me in penicillin and 10 more lortx. Its now the 16th (15 days later) still in pain. I was given a rinse called Peridex to flush the whole out with. NOW my problem. I have to go in Monday to have the same procedure on the other lower side. I changed the appt to just to the extraction this time and no crown at same time. I cant afford my oral surgeon who did my wisom and upper extractions. Is there a stronger pain medication to ask for. I havent been able to eat so the ibprofen/antibiotics killing my stomach. Please help. The Lortax did nothing and I really dont want to go through that again.What pain med should I ask for?? My oral surgeon gave me perkasets but he was so good I never filled them. Is that a good med to take that ACHE Ive been feeling now for 15 days. Thank you.
Tags: Pain, tooth extraction, help, meds
Your dentist should re-evaluate the area to see if there's an issue with the healing or possibly dry socket.  Percocet is an option for pain.  I would probably delay the treatment on the other side in case you have problems on the other side, it'll be more difficult to eat and function.  That isn't to say that it will happen but it possibly could.  Your dentist needs to figure out why or at least wait until the area is resolved.  But you should consult with him/her because the other side could become problematic too if left alone.