Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth extraction or not

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tooth extraction or not

I have a tooth that the dentist has said might need to be extracted.  It is a molar tooth.  It has had a root canal and a crown...then replaced with a different crown...I have been on 2 different types of antibiotics if there was an infection.  The only sensation I have in the tooth is a inconsistent ache.. Not all the time though.  Just a feeling of wanting to floss real deep. My last  choice is to have it extracted and an implant put in..When should I know for sure..When he does an xray there is a darker area above the tooth.  But he says it could be from a previous sinus infection. How do you know for sure when to extract it.  I also am going in for a different sugery in 4 weeks.  How would that affect my operation?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I don't know why there is consideration to extract the tooth. I am guessing that there is a residual infection from the previous root canal treatment. Has there been any thought of having the rct retreated by an endodontist? If that is not an option and apical surgery is also not an option and the infection is getting bigger I see no reason to have the infection present in your mouth, therefore I would have it extracted now.
In regards to the surgery question I asked last......Would it be smarter if the tooth extraction was delayed until my operation is done?
regarding the surgery question-- you should ask that of both your dentist and the surgeon. regarding the extraction, your situation can not be diagnosed over the internet-- ie is there mobility or periodontal involvement? Is the tooth sensitive to percussion? Is there decay evident? there are many factors that go into the decision to extract a tooth-- even the condition of  adjacent teeth is important. If you are unsure, or if your dentist is unsure, you should get another opinion by a dentist referred to you by a trusted friend or family member. In the meantime, call yopur surgeon's office and let them know your situation. they will probably advise you not to have it extracted with in a certain time frame beore or after your surgery unless it is an emergency-- which may delay the surgery.
There is no inflamation (inflammation) and the tooth does not move.  There might be a hairline crack in the root canal.. The first time we replaced the crown was because I was having a reaction to the metals in the crown. We replaced it with a one with no metal.  It just seems that to have a tooth pulled you should be having some pain that is unbearable. Which this is not the case.  
to a point you are correct-- but again there are other variables-- is there a fistula, is there an obvious crack---- what reason does the dentist give you for the need to extract it?
the only reason he gives is he says there might be a hairline crack in the root canal.  He did discover after the first set of antibiotics that the 2nd tooth away from it (3rd tooth from center)was dead...So we did a root canal on that one. I NEVER FELT any problems with the one he discovered was dead. I actually have very good dental health.  I go every 6 months and floss EVERY day. SO pulling a tooth and is HUGE for me.