Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth extraction

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Tooth extraction

I had a bottom row wisdom molar extracted a week ago and the procedure was long and painful on my jaw (3 hours). I was put on antibiotics and pain killer but now I have a slight fever and I can't open my mouth wide at all because the jaw hinge area beside my ear is so sensitive. My hearing on the side on my mouth when the extraction took place is a  little muffled and it really hurts my throat to swallow. Is this a normal response to a difficult extraction. I was not scheduled a follow-up visit and dissolvable sutchers were put in.
I would go back to the dentist if the healing isn't improving.  How many days has it been since the extraction?