Dental Health Community
Tooth numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Tooth numbness

I recently had a gum abscess on my second to last molar on the right, bottom side of my mouth. I went to the dentist, who cleaned out the infection and put me on antibiotics for a week. He took xrays, which looked like the tooth and roots were spared any infection/decay. He said it felt solid to him as well when he touched it. But he said I have recedeing gums and a "pocket" which has formed under the gums next to this particular molar that I should pay attention to.

It's been a couple of weeks since I've been to the dentist, and while the infection hasn't returned, my tooth feels numb, which is the best way I can describe it. It doesn't feel loose, it just feels oddly numb, which makes me paranoid that something is still wrong. Is this a sensation common to people with receding gums? Any other ideas? I'm nervous the tooth is dying, but I assume this would have shown up on the xrays...