Dental Health Expert Forum
Tooth pressure/discomfort in top front tooth

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

A few days ago I started feeling a slight twinge of pain and pressure in what feels like the root of one of my top front teeth. It triggered a minor panic attack and I've been feeling uncontrollably anxious the past few days. I've felt the pain once or twice since when I've pressed against the gum above the tooth and when I've swallowed and sucked air against the tooth (if that makes sense).

Since I noticed it, I've felt very dull throbbing in my top front teeth and a little discomfort around the gumline in the inside roof of my mouth, but I'm not sure if that's me being paranoid and/or me rinsing with mouthwash more often out of worry. I've eaten using the tooth without pain or anything, but occasionally when swallowing and air pushes against the tooth, I'll feel an odd pressure and be paranoid that the tooth is going to snap or come loose.

I'm extremely phobic of dentists (my last appointment was around seven years ago), and my teeth aren't in the most amazing condition (the gums have receded slightly on the top front teeth), but I haven't had toothache or pain since my last dentist trip. Part of the panic came from the fact that I'm not currently earning enough to cover dental expenses and wasn't on the books at any UK dentist.

I've since sorted out finances and managed to find a place on a local dentist's books, but the earliest appointment isn't for 2 weeks and I can't seem to shake the anxiety. Since there isn't tremendous pain I can't imagine I'll qualify for an emergency appointment. Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be or what the dentist will do? Will the tooth have to be removed? If so, how long does it take to have a replacement one fitted?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
The problem with dental pain is that the symptom of pain doesn't indicate how severe the problem is necessarily.  I wouldn't say the tooth needs to be removed necessarily.  The pain could be a gum problem such as periodontal disease.