Dental Health Community
Tooth sensitivity/pain after old filling replaced

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

An old white composite filling recently fell out of one of my back teeth (2nd from last on bottom of mouth). The filling was a compound filling covering the top of the tooth and going down the backside of the tooth. I never had any tooth sensitivity or pain from this tooth with the initial filling.

Since the filling has been replaced with the same type of composite material, I have had minor sensitivity to hot and cold, but more importantly, I have had some moderate pain whenever I bite down on something firm or crunchy. My dentist told me that when a composite filling hardens, it actually shrinks a little and could be pulling in the sides of the tooth a little. He further stated that when I bite down on something firm, that adds some additional flex to the tooth, which is causing the pain.

I went back to my dentist who then drilled a small trench down the middle of the tooth to release any inward pressure that the filling my have been applying, then refilled the tooth a little bit at a time, which was supposed to keep the composite material from pulling the sides of the tooth inward during this process. Its now several days later and I still experience the same moderate pain from that tooth when eating something firm or crunchy.

I believe that my dentist’s next step will be to totally redo the filling by removing the filling in its entirety and refilling the whole tooth.

Has any experienced this type or problem and how did you have it resolved? Would a silver filling fix this problem? Does anyone know of any other reason why my tooth would be pressure sensitive, other than the explanation I received from my dentist?
Before he completely redoes the filling, you might want to get him to check the occlusion.  You might be hitting harder on that tooth than teeth nearby, which would put added pressure on the bone and cause pain when biting.
You can minorly test this yourself.  Tap your teeth together hard enough to make noise a few times, does this cause any pain?  Next, rub your teeth right and left together?  If either of these reproduces even partial symptoms, its your occlusion.

The minor cold/hot sensitivity is fairly normal and will go away in a few weeks/months.  This is usually do to the tooth's response to having any kind of dental work done, it will heal soon.
Thanku Sir,

but one member says to me if it is sensitivity more than 1 week then this may indicate that the restoration is very near to the pulp. it is trough or Wong.
Thats true.  The sensitivity from a composite filling comes because the composite is an irritant to the pulp, causing it to be extra sensitive to normal stimuli.  This will go away with time because the pulp will calm down.  Dentists will usually put down a base layer between the pulp and filling in deep cavities in order to stimulate the pulp to build more dentin to protect itself quicker.

However, the sensitivity to biting/chewing pressure is almost always due to your occlusion (bite) being too high.  Adjusting this is a simple task and should be tried before redoing the filling.  Everytime a filling is replaced, you lose more tooth structure.
Thanku Sir,

but i feel when i touch my teeth only a part of filling will be hurt not hole filling.
Yesterday i went to my dentist he again reducing my original tooth structure after this pain may be reduce ple help me.....................