Dental Health Community
Toothache after root canal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Toothache after root canal

I had a root canal on my upper back tooth on Oct. 31 and it was pretty sore afterward but I didn't think much about it.  I went to my dentist last Tuesday and he opened it and it was very infected with a lot of pus and blood.  He drained it and put in another temporary filling and I am to go back in January to see if it is ok to put in a permanent filling.  However, I woke up this a.m. with a throbbing tooth and I am worried that he wasn't able to get out all of the infection.  I have MS and I can't afford to have an infection anywhere in my body.  Does anyone think that the infection wasn't all cleared out of the tooth and flared up in only 4 days?  I am on pain killers for my MS and they are taking the pain out of my tooth but this has me worried.  Any ideas???

Rena705
I just posted a very similar question, Rena.  I am having similar symptoms, post root canal.  I have been on a couple courses of antibiotics during the procedure, and the swelling and pain always go away after two days on the penicillin, and have so far returned after upwards of a month after finishing the course of antibiotics.

You won't feel any pain in the tooth due to pressure and infection, as you have no nerves in the tooth post root canal, but you may feel pressure and pain in the jaw socket of the tooth in question and possibly it's neighbors.

If there is infection within the tooth itself, unfortunately I dont think that antibiotics will clear it up.  From what I've read, a canaled tooth has no circulation of fluids, so the antibiotics never get into the tooth itself.  It will clear up secondary infections in the jaw and gums, but the tooth itself may have bacteria locked in it forever, waiting to restart an infection.

This is my dilemma also.  I'm prepared to lose the tooth now, if it will stop the pain and pressure in my jaw.  I am going to the dentist on monday to ask him if this is the best course of action.
Well I went to the dentist yesterday and the pain of course was gone.  It miraculously disappeared on Sunday night.  The dentist said that it was probably the last of the root dying that was causing the pain and I was not put on any antibiotics.  I will be having the tooth pulled on Jan. 8th and as far as I am concerned it will be a blessing!  

My dentist has stated that the reason that the root canal did not work is that it is his fault in that he did not get the complete root out at the beginning and he has also said that the extraction will be covered by him...there will be no charge to me!

So good luck with your tooth and I hope that you have a good dentist that will be willing to pull that bugger and relieve you of the pain!

Rena705