Dental Health Community
Toothache causing sinus problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Toothache causing sinus problems?

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice.

About a week ago I started getting a toothache in my 2nd molar, upper right side. This particular tooth has had some problems (bad cavity, which was filled). Anyway, I went to the dentist and he said there was another cavity and he would fill it in a couple of weeks but there was a possibility it wouldn't work and the tooth would have to be extracted or i would need RCT. Particularly as I have a wisdom tooth beginning to poke through behind it and the dentist said extraction of the problem tooth would also help to avoid any problems with the wisdom tooth later on.

Anyway two days later, i began to feel a lot of pressure in my head. Like a sinus infection or when my TMJD is playing up, but slightly worse. My ears are completely blocked up and my whole head feels full and under pressure, like someone is pushing my head in. I'm also quite dizzy, particularly when standing up. I've also got a headache (not a severe one, but like a tension headache)

The thing is, I don't have any of the usual symptoms i get with a cold or sinusitis - my nose is a little stuffy but to be honest, it always is. I'm not sneezing or coughing, my nose isn't runny or anything like that - it's just this incredible pressure.

The toothache is still pretty much the same, hasn't really gotten any worse apart from the occasional few seconds of sharp throbbing - It's uncomfortable enough for me to have gone to the dentist but i'm certainly not in agony with it.  It just feels a bit sensitive and throbbing. Doesn't hurt to bite or chew or anything. It's a little sensitive to hot and cold drinks, but it is nothing compared to the sensitivity i had with the first cavity. Put it this way, it's annoying but doesn't stop me from being able to eat or drink hot and cold things.

I'm wondering if this sinus pressure is being caused by the toothache? I know you can get sinus toothache but i'm assuming that isn't the case given what the dentist said when he looked at the tooth, so i'm wondering if it can work the other way too? Is the toothache causing the pressure in my sinuses and around my jaw?

I should also say, i'm currently taking anti-biotics for an acneiform rash (been taking them for nearly 2 months now..is it even possible to develop an infection when i'm taking those?)

It's the weekend now so i'm not going to be able to speak to my dentist until Monday - not sure what I should do?

Any advice?
When was that tooth filled and how big was the cavity?  Ask your doctor to take a PA (periapical) x-ray.  That shows the tip of the root and would probably show an abscess if it's been going on for a while.  Usually dull throbbing is indicative of a periodontal (gum) issue.  If the nerve is involved, you would have pretty intense sensitivity to cold and hot (especially hot).  Sometimes if a tooth has been worked on a lot, the nerve can die just from the overall trauma it has gone through.  If the filling is very large, some sensitivity is normal.  But it should gradually subside.
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I got the filling about 2 years ago now and it was quite large and deep.

I've always had a bit of sensitivity there, even after the filling but it is slightly worse now - although more with cold than heat.

My ears are still blocked and I'm quite dizzy. Muscles in my face, arms and hands are feeling very heavy and weak too...I'm sure it coincidence but I am worried..

Toothache has not really gotten any worse, still managable with ibruprofen - my head just feels so heavy and full
I think you should perhaps see your family dr about the sinus thing.  Not all antibiotics work well for everything.  Usually for a tooth abscess, we prescribe amoxicillan or clindamycin.  Also, be careful with how much ibuprofen you take!  It can be hell on your kidneys!  I'm afraid it may be time for a root canal or an extraction on that tooth.  With that much trauma, it just may have finally had enough.  There are vitality tests that your dds can do to see just how much life that tooth has left.  How much actual tooth is left will determine whether it is savable with a root canal or not.  FYI, it's always best to try to save a tooth rather than have it removed, if possible.  You always wanna try to keep your original equipment!!!  :)
Hi there. I have virtually the same issue. Just wondering what the result was?