Dental Health Expert Forum
Trismus after wisdom teeth removal

Questions in the Dental Health forum are answered by Dr. Jerome Tsang. Topics covered include bridges, cavities, crowns, and x-rays.

Trismus after wisdom teeth removal
I had my wisdom teeth out a week ago and I still can't open my jaw more than a finger and a half.  It doesn't hurt to chew, but there's an uncomfortable sensation in upper jaw/left ear, like there's pressure when I chew.  Is this normal after having wisdom teeth removed?  Will it go away?  How long?  What can I do to help?  I'm going for my post-op checkup tomorrow but I'm pretty worried.  Thanks.
This can  be from the injection or the trauma of the extraction. In both cases I think the extent of your opening will improve to its original amount. I would try to open it further each day even if it hurts. You might have to break some adhesions that are present.