Dental Health Community
Trouble with speech after veneers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to dental issues, bridges, cavities, crowns, orthodontics, and x-rays.

Trouble with speech after veneers

I recently got 10 porcelain veneers across my top front teeth and now I am having a lot of difficulty in my speech.  Slurring my "s" and "t"/"th" words in particular.  I always had a bit of a lisp but now it is so much worse that I am actually embarrassed to talk at all because I sound so silly!  I love the way the  teeth look but am afraid I'll never be able to talk right again.  This is making it difficult at work, and I am getting married in 10 days and afraid to even say my vows out loud!

Had first appointment for prep 6 weeks ago, had temps in for about 5 weeks, had final adjustments made to permanent teeth last weekend....is it too soon for me to expect to be able to speak normal?  is this something I'll "get used to" and see improvement over time? do the teeth need more adjusting, or do I need speech therapy?
Assuming lower anterior teeth are natural teeth and there was no pronoucing problem before veneer restoration, pronouciation of s sound requirs a thin band space formed between upper and lower front teeth. Your problem may result from thichened lingual surface of upper veneer or lengthened incisal edge of veneer. If incisal edge is lengthened, f,v sound pronounciation may have problem ,too. Going back to your dentist to have adjustment is advised.
How did everything work out for you? I have a very similiar story. In fact I am a business owner and I have two crowns and 4 additional veneers now on my front teeth. Ironically since my work was done, I am less confident. I used to be a great speaker now my speech is no good when saying words like "then", "thirty", "anything" - I have worked around it but want it resolved. I started my process in fall of 2006 and still to this day not happy. I had to redo the first time due to an utter cosmetic failure by my first cosmetic dentist. Then I have what was my final product now for about 1 year now. However, speech is not what it used to be and it has me frustrated. My dentist looks at me puzzled, but I know it is not right and it has forced me to speak slowly, which really stinks. Also the TH and f sounds come out "flat" without strong sounds, causing people to say "what did you say?". Did you resolve your issue?
Well its been a little over 10 weeks since received "final" teeth.  speech has  improved quite a bit but still not as clear as it was before I got the veneers.  I also have people asking me to repeat myself as if they didn't understand what I said on certain words.  My new last name since my wedding starts with a "V" and ends in " tz " so you can imagine I have to spell it every time and distinguish each letter by saying "V as in Victor", etc.  My husband says I sound fine, I think I notice it more because it feels strange when I speak and I know its not like it used to be, but apparently it is not [overall] as noticable to others as it is to me.  But it is always on my mind when I speak, wondering if they are thinking I sound funny.  It has definitely affected my confidence in public speaking which I used to have no problem with.

Biggest issue now is just the overall way the veneers feel in my mouth.  They are dry, they seem to irritate my mouth and tongue in ways I can't quite describe to the dentist.  I've had him do many little adjustments like grinding down areas and what-not.  Overall I am not happy with the size and shape of them and just the way they were built, like they weren't made to really fit perfect in my mouth.  Not sure if I want the expense, pain, hassle of having them re-done though.

I'm getting used to them, but I would say if I could go back in time I would just live with the way my teeth were to begin with, they weren't really horrible.  the end result is not worth it for as much as it cost financially and all the hassle afterwards and the fact that there is no going back.  My advice to others would be don't get a mouthfull of porcelain veneers unless your teeth are so horrible they're ruining your life somehow.
Wow,

I agree with you 100% and I totally feel your pain! I believe it can be resolved with good work though. My first round was much worse. So far I have learned the more I take the driver's seat the better, meaning most of these cosmetic dentists are completely ignorant to some of the issues we experience. Also apparently the lab makes a big difference! My first time I had dryness and irritation as well - I believe theat was do to their enormous size and material. Second round much better.
I got four maxillary veneers about three weeks ago, and my tongue is constantly running over the veneers. I am afraid I am going to have a very sore tongue if I don't stop this, but I don't know how because its a subconcious gesture. How can I train my tongue to stop? Has anyone else had this problem? It's driving me crazy!